So, you want to have your own unique domain name? Did you get tired of using higglypiggly.wpengine.com? Ok cool. Because I’m out of crazy domain names to use. Time for a little context…
WP Engine for those that don’t know makes life incredibly simple for hosting secure WordPress installs. It’s for the WordPress developer/entrepreneur who likes to customize their setup in a way they would do a more advanced site that doesn’t require a blog structure.
Cloudflare is my preferred DNS provider. Why? Because it’s FREE. I’m cheap and I prefer a service that millions of other bigger businesses use and works like clockwork, especially when it comes to managing your DNS. Cloudflare has many other amazing tools, so I highly suggest checking the rest out. For now, let’s focus on DNS.
A note first: Have a domain hosted somewhere, just not Godaddy, please? It’s a terribly architected service and it pains me to use it every time.
Ok let’s get crackin’:
- Setup Cloudflare Account – It is free
- Setup a new Site in Cloudflare – they will give you two name servers to make use of.
- Setup your nameservers with your domain host (This will be unique to your host)
- Setup the WPEngine domain for your new custom domain.
- Go to Cloudflare and edit the DNS records for the same site. Add in the correct CNAME record for your domain.
- Wait for the new name to propagate between Cloudflare and WPEngine. Go have some coffee or scotch.. its probably 1 am.
- Done! Enjoy your custom domain name. Life is a little bit better now.